Legislative Agenda and Updates
We have officially kicked off this year's "short session" (meaning this is not a budget session) and must end on or before Wednesday, March 14, 2018. Other important legislative deadlines include:
- Monday, October 23, 2017: Senators may begin filing bills for the 2018 Session (Senate Rule 44). Senators can file no more than a total of ten bills or joint resolutions (Senate Rule 48(a)).
- Tuesday, November 21, 2017: Organization Day for the 2018 Session (IC 2-2.1-1-3). Representatives may begin filing bills (House Rule 103).
- Wednesday, January 3, 2018: Senators may file only two bills per business day beginning today (Senate Rule 48(b)).
- Friday, January 5, 2018: Deadline for filing Senate bills (Senate Rule 48(b)) not later than 4:00 p.m.
- Monday, January 8, 2018: Latest day session must reconvene (IC 2-2.1-1-3).
- Tuesday, January 9, 2018: Deadline for filing House bills (Fourth meeting day in January)(House Rule 107.2, not later than 2:00 p.m.).
- Wednesday, January 10, 2018: Filing of House vehicle bills (Fifth meeting day in January)(House Rule 106.1).
- Friday, January 12, 2018: Last day Senate bills may be assigned to Senate committees (Seven (7) calendar days following the last day for filing Senate bills and resolutions (Senate Rule 49(a)).
- Monday, February 5, 2018: Last day for 3rd reading of House bills in House (House Rule 147.2 & 2.1).
- Tuesday, February 6, 2018: Last day for 3rd reading of Senate bills in Senate (Senate Rule 79(a), subject to Senate Rule 88(b)).
- Monday, March 5, 2018: Last day for 3rd reading of Senate bills in House (House Rule 148.2 & 2.1).
- Monday, March 5, 2018: Last day for House adoption of conference committee reports without Rules Committee approval (House Rule 161.2).
- Tuesday, March 6, 2018: Last day for 3rd reading of House bills in the Senate (Senate Rule 79(b)).
- Tuesday, March 6, 2018: Last day for Senate adoption of conference committee reports without Rules Committee approval (Senate Rule 86(l)).
- Wednesday, March 14, 2018: Last day for adjournment of both houses (IC 2-2.1-1-3).
Your IVFA has bills drafted that address:
- PRESUMPIVE CANCER
- FUNDING OF OUR SERVICE
- CONTRACT FOR OUR SERVICES
We have rapidly found many other bills that impact our ability to serve that others have filled such as:
- HB 1005 – "forced" TOWNSHIP MERGERS
- HB 1085 - INCOME TAX CREDIT FOR VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTERS
- HB 1149 - FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICTS
As the session starts to move we will start to track bills (which will change very soon after the deadline for filing bills occurs) that may have an impact on the Fire Service. To view the bills we are tracking please visit the IVFA Weekly Bill Tracker section of the IVFA website legislative page.
PLEASE CHECK BACK OFTEN TO SEE WHAT UPDATES WE HAVE TO OFFER.