At the Annual meeting in June of 1986, it was announced that the Bridgeport Volunteer Fire Department of Indianapolis, who, at that time was dissolving their corporation, had set up a Memorial Trust fund to be administered by the IVFA Board of Directors.
The fund was to be used for a Line of Duty Death Benefit of the survivor of a current IVFA member killed in the line of duty as a volunteer firefighter in the amount of Three Thousand Dollars ($3,000.00).
Also two Fifteen Hundred Dollar ($1,500.00) Scholarships were to be given to a child of a current member of the IVFA or the IVFAA. and presented annually.
Since this fund was established, the IVFA has added to it from the sale of IVFA License Plates and increased the number of scholarships from two to three scholarships annually.
- Applicant must be a member in good standing of the IVFA; or the spouse, son or daughter of a member in good standing of the IVFA (having paid the current year's dues by July 31). The member in good standing must also have been a member for the (2) two years prior to the year of application.
- Applicant must be a current high school senior, high school graduate or earned a GED; and enrolled as a full time student in an accredited advanced educational institution.
- Applications for Post Graduate studies are not eligible.
- Scholarships are for a one-time grant only. Once given to an applicant, they are not eligible for another.
- Applicant will not be selected by scholastics only, but by the total of all the information revealed on the application.
- It is anticipated the student is capable of meeting and maintaining the scholastic standards of the school selected.
- Scholarships may be applied to class fees, tuition, books, room and board, etc., as the student desires.
- It is anticipated that the student will provide a portion of the expense.
- The award will be paid in the name of the recipient and school of the student's choice. Should the student leave school for any reason, any unused portion of the award will be returned to the Memorial Trust Fund.
- Applicants for this advanced education shall be enrolled as full-time students.
- Three (3) Scholarships of One Thousand Five-Hundred Dollars ($1,500.00) each will be awarded annually.
- Applications are available on the IVFA website at www.ivfa.org. They shall provide the criteria to follow:
- The address of the IVFA Office is P.O. Box 4797, Evansville, Indiana 47724. The phone number in Evansville is (812) 867-3293 or toll free within Indiana (877) 606-4832.
- Applicant must provide certain information including personal data, financial statements, recommendations, etc. All pages of the application must be filled out in their entirety.
- Family financial statements are to be made by a parent or guardian of the applicant. All information on the application will be treated with strict confidence.
- Applicants that are sons or daughters of a Volunteer Firefighter "killed in the line of duty" will receive a ten percent (10%) bonus on points on their graded application.
- The entire application is to be mailed to the Indiana Volunteer Firefighter's Association Office, P.O. Box 4797, Evansville, Indiana 47724. All applications shall be in the Office of the IVFA by March 1 of the year the application is presented. If the Application is sent by registered or certified mail, a postmark prior to March 1 will be considered as eligible.
Applicants may download a PDF application or fill out the online application below.